Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Miracle of Burst Plumbing

Usually, burst plumbing is never a time to celebrate. In fact, anyone who would even hint that burst plumbing might be joyous is probably a lunatic. But its true! And not only that; burst plumbing caused a miracle at my home during the Thanksgiving holidays.

You see, my kids came home during Thanksgiving. Both are accomplished and strong-willed. I love them dearly, but as young adults they seldom exhibit love for one another, as they once did when much younger. Each has lots of friends, but different interests. So when home together, they're pretty much doing their own, separate, things. But meals are common times; so at least then we're together, though only for a short while.

While sharing dinner on Sunday after church, my wife left to get something and noticed water on the floor in front of the sink cabinet. In a moment worthy of an Oscar nomination, suddenly she shouted with incredulity, "Oh, my God!" Immediately, she opened the sink cabinet doors, and again with passionate disbelief, she screeched, "Oh no. The cabinet is flooded and covered with food particles from the disposal. Oh no! Oh my God!" My kids and I just sat stunned and starred at each other. We were in disbelief ourselves. Not so much at the mishap, as at my wife's magnificent exclamation.

Suddenly, my kids looked at each other, then at me. Without missing a beat, we all burst out laughing hysterically. Indeed, it was funny and we couldn't stop laughing. Frantically, my wife demanded that I change my clothes, so I could help clean out the cabinet and dry up the water. Calmly, I left the room, glad to be away for a few moments. But as I changed clothes, I heard wails of laughter coming from the kitchen.

When I returned, my daughter was standing in front of the cabinet wearing gloves and a mask she'd used while rehabilitating flooded housing in New Orleans during the summer. Also, she was holding a makeshift microphone and pretending to be an on scene reporter for CNN. As my daughter gave a blow by blow account of the devastation, my son was standing nearby choking with uncontrollable laughter. By now, even my wife was laughing and enjoying the moment.

As I removed the cabinet contents and thoroughly cleaned them, I was struck by the moment. I slowed my efforts and simply enjoyed our time together. Finally, after several days our family was caught up in something funny, spontaneous, and remarkably invigorating. It was like old times when the kids were younger, and somehow we managed to turn mishaps into teachable and joyous moments.

I must admit that after everything was cleaned, dried, and put away, I secretly wished we could do it again. Indeed, watching my kids react in the moment and to each other with genuine love and affection was a miracle. No, not so much a new event; but rather a remembering of how we used to have great fun together. I sensed something special had happened, and I believe the kids sensed it too.

Finally, when the kids were packed and ready to leave, my wife and I didn't want them to go; one to Raleigh and the other to Boone.

For just a few precious moments on a rainy Sunday afternoon during Thanksgiving, we were a family again. We had a grand time together, and to my knowledge it was the first time that burst plumbing caused a miracle. Wow! Who would've "thunk it."

No comments: